Learn the Core FP&A Technical Skill Set
Excel Business Modeling and Data Analysis
You will hone your technical analysis and Excel business modeling skills and learn how to present reliable data to your company's leadership while learning invaluable skills in problem-solving, risk management and growth planning.
Used By Top Companies and Institutions
Led by an experienced FP&A professional with nearly 2 decades of experience, this virtual boot camp is designed to fill the knowledge gaps frequently observed that FP&A and corporate finance professionals exhibit again and again in years of consulting and training at top corporations and financial institutions.
Each day runs from 9a-5p.
Introduction to FP&A
- The current state of FP&A, today's disconnect, and where FP&A needs to be
The Power of Excel Modeling in FP&A
- Best practices around the structural design of financial models and spreadsheets
- Exposure to Excel's built-in input/output watch window
- Key Excel formulas and functions, usage of formula evaluator & formula auditing
- Mastering Excel keyboard shortcuts and other tips and tricks
Advanced Excel Concepts and Modeling Best Practices
- Standard & dynamic naming of cells, ranges, tables, formulas, & lookups
- Working with large, changing data sets
- Data validation, CHOOSE, MATCH, and INDEX
- Building uniform & named templates for seamless consolidation of financial data
Dynamic Modeling and Dashboards
- Creating evolving forecast models with dynamic functionality
- Management of data sets with tabular and modular dynamics
- Focus on INDIRECT & OFFSET for managing large, changing data sets
- Building and managing dynamic charts and dashboards
Analyzing Outputs and Variance Testing
- Understanding the operationals and financial relationships within the business
- Building effective KPI dashboards for performance tracking and accountability
- Best practices for variance analysis & testing
- Advanced conditional formatting
Data Visualization and Presentation
- Presenting to leaders and decision-makers with data, images, and narrative
- Tracking trends & analyzing data with sparklines, pivot tables, charts, and slicers
- Techniques for presenting effectively within Excel and between Excel and Powerpoint
Managing Scenarios and Sensitivities
- Building models from scratch and using scenarios and sensitivities
- Adding error-proofing and checks into financial models to prevent user error
- Common-size and trend analysis
- Sum of worksheets consolidation
Critical Thinking in Forecasting, Budgeting, and Projections
- Key terminology in forecasting, projecting, and budgeting
- Top-down, bottom-up, and hybrid approaches to forecasting and budgeting
- Building flexible cash flow models for strategic decision-making
Financial Accounting and the Economic Environment
- Fundamentals of finance and accounting
- Understanding the macroeconomic environment
- Fundamentals of the income statement, balance sheet, and cash flow statement
- Understanding how the financial statements are connected
- Calculating and interpreting profitability, liquidity, activity, and solvency ratios
- What ratios and metrics mean to business and working capital management
Financial Analysis and Advanced Modeling Case Study
- Understanding key relationships across the financial statements
- Developing model assumptions and drivers
- Model timing architecture: monthly, quarterly, and annual periods
- Understanding and handling model plugs & circularity
- Financial statement historicals & forecasting
- Segment-based revenue and cost build-ups
- Forecasting working capital, long-term assets, & liabilities
- Modeling new capital expenditures, debt and equity items, and cash flows
- How to drive strategic business decisions from financial statement modeling
- Comprehensive case study
Bringing it All Together and the Future of FP&A
- The role of an effective FP&A function within an organization and the future of FP&A
- Participant Q&A
OnlinePre-Seminar Excel Training
This boot camp assumes proficiency in Excel. Enrollment includes access to our popular Excel Crash Course for those who need an Excel refresher.
Wall Street Prep training is used at ...
Who is this Boot Camp For?
- Analysts and managers in financial planning and analysis
- Business decision support
- Internal & external financial reporting groups
- Corporate accounting professionals
Boot Camp Details
Revisit what you learn
This virtual seminar will be recorded and available for you to review any time from your Wall Street Prep learning dashboard.
FP&A professionals require a cross-functional understanding of accounting, finance, corporate strategy and industry dynamics. This training program is designed to fill the knowledge gaps we’ve seen FP&A and corporate finance professionals exhibit again and again.
The course is taught by Carl Seidman, Business Strategist, CFO Advisor, TedX Speaker, and Trainer in Leadership and Financial Management. Carl has 10+ years of management consulting experience in finance and strategy, including turnarounds, restructurings, valuation, transactions, and crisis management. With a passion for teaching and years of directly relevant real-world experience, Carl understands the importance of teaching in a way that empowers finance professionals to apply the lessons from the classroom directly on the job.
- The training materials that trainees receive are comprehensive and intuitive, and are designed to serve as stand-alone materials for easy use long after the training session has ended.
- Up to 27 FP&A recertification credits
- Up to 27 CPE credits
What to Bring
Laptop, Notepad, and Calculator.
This seminar presumes knowledge of financial accounting (at least 1 semester or equivalent). Participants without this background must enroll in and complete the Accounting Crash Course prior to attending the seminar.
FP&A Recertification Credit
This seminar is approved for up to 27 FP&A recertification credits by the Association for Financial Professionals at the rate of one credit for each 50 minutes of attendance.
Wall Street Prep is registered with the National Association of State Boards of Accountancy (NASBA) as a sponsor of continuing professional education on the National Registry of CPE Sponsors. State boards of accountancy have the final authority on the acceptance of individual courses for CPE credit. Complaints regarding registered sponsors may be submitted to the National Registry of CPE Sponsors through its website: www.learningmarket.org.
Participants may cancel up to 3 weeks prior to the event for a full refund. A 20% cancellation fee will apply up to 1 week prior to the event. No refunds will be granted for cancellations made within 1 week of the event. Wall Street Prep reserves the right to cancel the seminar if enrollment is insufficient. Trainees will be refunded in full in the event of a cancellation.
— Elizabeth M.
— Sally G.
— Daniel Philpot
— Nathan H.
— Ryan C.
— William K.
Why Attend a Boot Camp?
Our live courses pulls no punches. Each boot camp is the same intensive training used to prepare incoming analysts at top financial institutions.
Learn by Doing
Attendees “learn by doing” by working through practical exercises and building financial models from scratch using real case studies.
Boot camps provide an opportunity to network with MBAs and professionals from industries including investment banking, corp dev and FP&A.
Our instructor-practitioners are experienced bankers who give real-world context by connecting training to their own experience on the desk.
Our training reinforces speed, efficiency and consistency in Excel that investment banking analysts are expected to have on Day 1.
Continuing Ed & Webinars
Enrollment to most boot camps includes access to our continuing education online training platform and webinar series.
Earn 9.5 CPE Credits with WSP Online Courses
Questions? We're Standing By.
To learn more about this boot camp, fill out the form below or call us at: 617-314-7685
The Wall Street Prep Quicklesson Series
7 Free Financial Modeling Lessons
Get instant access to video lessons taught by experienced investment bankers. Learn financial statement modeling, DCF, M&A, LBO, Comps and Excel shortcuts.